Ra Sushi: lively music, inventive cocktails and the best sushi this side of Tokyo.




While vacationing in Scottsdale I never miss stopping in, at least several times, to the "Ra that started it all". Ra Sushi in Old Town is like no other with elegantly prepared sushi, sashimi, signature rolls and an appetizer and cocktail happy hour that is the ne plus ultra of happy hours.


 The first time I stumbled upon Ra a few years back, I met Jessica and Johnna. They are the pleasant and very capable young ladies behind the friendly bar. Guests are always ready to move a seat to make room. Conversations between once strangers abound- strangers no longer. 

Johnna has just gotten married- congratulations to her. Jessica is training to become a firefighter- congratulations to her also. Co-incidentally, my daughter, Sydney, is doing the same thing for the Girdwood fire dept.



Down here now for a few short weeks, a happy hour visit was inevitable. I saw this colorful looking appetizer that the couple next to me was having. I didn't think they would give me a taste so my next time in I had to have one. The Tunacado is seared Ahi tuna dusted with Japanese rice cracker bits and black sesame seeds; served with fresh avocado slices and creamy ponzu dipping sauce.




One of my favorite items from previous times was the Kalbi beef ribs.Unfortunately, it has been deleted. Another favorite is an Asian cucumber salad.  It wasn't on the menu either but Jessica managed to massage it out of the computer. 

The Ultimate Yuzu Margarita next to it in the photo is delightful combo of Casa Noble Reposado Tequila shaken with fresh citrus, yuzu, agave nectar and topped with Grand Marnier Cordon Rouge. 
Ra offers the Emperors Margaritas in several flavors: traditional, mango. cucumber and strawberry.






            My other daughter, Carly and I came for dinner one time a few years ago and the place was rocking with a young crowd "sushi'ing" it up. I noticed someone setting up at a small table near the entrance and lo and behold, it was a DJ. What a nice touch! I truly enjoyed the up beat, contemporary music. Ra now has a great sound system and still plays the popular, rockin'  music to dine fast by. 




Two more items rounded out my happy hour time: a Rainbow roll which is a classic California Roll topped with tuna, yellowtail, shrimp, salmon and avocado to look like a rainbow. 





This one is with a Hakutsuru "Draft" sake. I messed up the rainbow effect trying to get a good photo, but it was tasty.





Lastly, came the RA'kin' shrimp. Tempura battered shrimp with ginger teriyaki dipping sauce. There is a nice ginger sesame flavor on the lettuce spread too. 

Ra Sushi is ripe with hipster decor and lively music. There are real "steals" during happy hour but non happy hour prices are reasonable and quality is top notch all the time. 

Stop in and say hello to Jessica or Johnna and enjoy a couple of apps or a whole Asian fusion dinner.




Here is a link to the Old Town Scottsdale RA menu: 








Comments

Popular Posts