Dinner at Suite 100

    

We went to dinner at one of our favorite places, Suite 100. I always have liked the wooden bar and tasteful decor. This time we went straight into the dining room, but you can get any menu item at the bar or at the high-top tables in the bar. I usually have a Russian Standard Platnum martini there. Suite 100 is the only restaurant I know that serves it.


    Our server was right on us and she had a professional air mixed with a welcome casualty. We had a premium Chardonnay and Pinot Noir and ordered a double portion of Alaskan oysters. They are served chilled on the half shell with blood orange granita or roasted with bacon, parmesan, and leeks. Both ways are delicious and this time we had chilled ones. 

    I must be slipping: in the last post I neglected to photograph our oysters and this time I remembered, but only after they were eaten. So you get to see the shells and used sauce. The granita is good, but somehow I always get back to basics with good old horseradish cocktail sauce.



    


Next, we shared a spinach salad which our server kindly had split for us. Baby spinach with mushrooms, red onions, blue cheese crumbles, and bean sprouts. The dressing is a mango chutney vinaigrette. 

    Suite 100 has a nice selection of salads, however, this is the favorite one.

    



I like the prime rib at Suite 100 and ordered it this night. I has pickled grated horseradish and is served atop Yukon Gold mashed potatoes with fresh steamed vegetables. As good as this looks in this picture, the prime was remarkably fatty with lots of gristle streaks. Our server noticed me eyeballing it as she checked back and I mentioned that it wasn't up to their  usual standards.


She checked with the kitchen and they said the whole roast was like that and so a different cut would have the same fat and gristle. This was very rare for Suite 100 to have an inferior roast. She offered to replace it with the rack of lamb as that was my other potential choice. I knew it would take more than a few minutes to cook one but, that's life in the big city. 




Meanwhile, Vicki's pan seared Alaskan Halibut was done to perfection. Served with chili-ginger cream sauce on Basmati Rice and steamed fresh vegetables.

The halibut can also be served beer-battered with tarter sauce and fries. I'm not sure if they automatically cut it into "fish and chips" size, but I'll bet they would if asked. 



Out, in record time, came my grilled center cut 1/2 rack of lamb. It has a cherry-garlic sauce and mashed Yukon Gold potatoes with the omnipresent steamed fresh vegetables.

I thought that the kitchen had rushed the lamb on the hot side of the grill as the bones were fairly well charred, however, when I cut it into chops I was pleasantly surprised that it was the medium rare that I had ordered as you can see.

Our server and kitchen staff seamlessly corrected an amiss situation and made it good. This is the mark of a top notch restaurant and is what makes Suite 100 one of my favorites


At this point I would say that Suite 100, with its luxury decor, vast food and drink menus and superb service is a truly "go to" destination in Anchorage. Owners Heidi and Kelly, one or the other or most likely both are present to assure your dining pleasure.

www.suite100.com


Comments

Popular Posts